It has been quite the week. There has been so much fear, so many horrible things said, so many horrible things done. I’m so glad that this week is nearly over.
After the horrible events of last weekend in Paris, we’ve also been on edge here in New York after a threat was made online by terrorists Wednesday night. I’ve been avoiding crowded areas and public transit as much as possible ever since. I’ll be so glad to drive out of this city for a while this weekend, just for a reprieve from the anxiety and unknowns. I don’t like that Dan’s office is right beside Penn Station. I don’t like feeling suspicious and jumpy while walking to work. I don’t like that our police force is standing on every corner in full riot gear and holding high-powered weapons. Well—I actually do like that…it does make me feel better—but I hate that it’s something that even has to be done, as though NYC were an active war zone.
We’re picking up a rental car tomorrow morning and making the 7-8 hour drive to my hometown in Virginia! I’m so excited I could burst. I cannot wait to be with my family again!
I plan on sharing a few posts next week, but if I don’t, sorry! There really isn’t any internet connection out there in the sticks, so we’ll see what I can manage. We’ll be in Roanoke towards the end of the week, so there will be some civilization.
- On Monday I shared a few of my thoughts on Paris and how this recent tragedy will affect my life. The same way that 9/11 changed the world, this will also affect everyone’s life in some way.
- Hoping to do brunch one morning in New York City? Head to Bubby’s.
- Allegiant (trailer) Who’s excited for the third movie of the Divergent series? MEEEE!!! It’s been quite a while since I read the third book (being made into two movies, of which Allegiant is the first,) so I think I need to go back and re-read that before March.
- A Very Murray Christmas (trailer) A Christmas movie starring Bill Murray and every other movie star in the world? Sign me up!
- Sydni and her husband Whit are celebrating their five year anniversary! I loved how she wrote about how life together is different this many years in.
- Kelly from The Wandering Blonde has been traveling around South America for the past few months, but has decided to spend the rest of her time there living in Utila. I love how she hasn’t been afraid to change her plans and go with the flow after falling in love with this town! And what exciting plans she has for her remaining time there.
- Casey from Land of Marvels knows travel. Her new post, What Every New Traveler Needs to Know, is on point! I always love her advice; you don’t need to be a new traveler to learn from this!
- Helene from Helene in Between has been on a roll lately with all of her latest webinars and workshops! Right now she’s offering a free e-course on starting a successful blog.
On the Internets
- Guy gives his dad a GoPro. Dad doesn’t realize he has pointed the GoPro the wrong direction. Dad selfies his way through vacation. Priceless!
- Here are the 116 photos that NASA sent into space on Voyager 1 in 1977. Calling all aliens!
- James Wright’s review of Patti LaBelle’s Sweet Potato Pie has me cracking up! Damn, Patti!
- Have you ever heard of Congenital Central Hypoventilation Syndrome (CCHS)? It’s always interesting to learn about something you didn’t even know existed.
- My favorite HONY post of the week.
- A Baby Dies at Daycare and a Mother Asks Why She Had to Leave Him So Soon. This story broke my heart. Things need to change in the US when it comes to family and maternity leave. As the author asks…”Why does a parent in this country have to sacrifice her job, her ability to provide her child with proper health care—or for many worse off than me, enough food to eat—to buy just a few more months to nurture a child past the point of vulnerability?“