The last week has been an absolute whirlwind! I wanted to post and share earlier in the week but I haven’t had a moment to spare!
Chelsea came up from Jersey for my birthday weekend and we had a blast! We had brunch near Union Square, walked the Brooklyn Bridge, explored SoHo, shopped, visited the Guggenheim museum, had appetizers and drinks at one of my company’s restaurants, and probably walked a million miles. I took a ton of photos and hope I’ll have time to share some of them soon!
I have so much freelance work this week that I haven’t had time to do anything else other than work. If I had more time to design freelance, I could almost see myself taking this full time instead of working in a cubicle. Working for myself brings me so much more joy. Besides those thoughts though, things at the new job have been going rather well. It’s definitely an interesting business!
- I’ve been nominated for the Sisterhood of the World Blogging Award by three different bloggers lately! I have every intention of sitting down one day and answering lots of their questions about my travels (because I love sharing that sort of thing,) but I just need to find the time first! One day, girls! Until then, go check out what Jasmine, Nathalie, and Lo shared about their travels and adventures.
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert I’ve been wanting to get my hands on this one for a while! Chels, Dan and I visited Strand Bookstore last weekend and I finally bought a copy! I’m only about five pages in, but I’m so eager to drink up all of Ms Gilbert’s amazing advice. Love her. (PS, I bought this amazing tote at Strand and it’s my favorite thing!)
- The Walking Dead: Dan sent me this link yesterday and I was cracking up at my desk. Don’t read/view unless you’ve watched the latest episode, “JSS;” lots of (hilarious) spoilers!
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer (as voiced by Brooklynites)
On the Internets
- Sonita Alizadeh is a female rapper from Afghanistan who used her talents to avoid a forced child marriage. Check this girl out, because she (and her story) is amazing.
- Speaking of the issues women face, Sam shared a really frustrating and relatable story about being harassed in front of her daughter recently.
- I ran across “Ocean Atlas” this week while looking for something for work, and now I want to go scuba diving in the Caribbean to see it! How cool.
- I know everyone wants amazing, high-quality images for free, but think about the other side of the camera sometimes.
- Better Shelter, an IKEA company, has created an amazing housing solution for refugees in collaboration with the UN.
- Why Millennials Keep Dumping You: An Open Letter to Management. Nothing resonated with me more this week than this open letter! Amen and amen! I’m not selling my soul and my time/life so some big shot can drive a Mercedes. (This is also why I have every intention of being my own boss…soon!)